August 28, 2009
Today is Snow Leopard day, and unlike many other developers I’ve waited to buy it in stores instead of installing an ADC development seed. This means I’ve been mostly in the dark about any API changes or new developer tools in 10.6, aside from what I’ve managed to coax out of the guys at the local Syracuse CocoaHeads meetings.
To give myself something to do while waiting for my pre-install backup to finish, I’m going to update this post on any good articles or write-ups on what’s new in Snow Leopard for developers. If you’ve written or seen anything that I should include here, please leave a comment!
- Tim Wood gives a great roundup of the major (and not so major) new developer features in Snow Leopard.
- Andy Matuschak talks about associated objects, which allow you to add instance variables to any class which descends from NSObject.
- Twitter has plenty of 10.6 tips from developers today. In particular, you probably want to follow Cocoa Dev Central.
- Mike Ash has a great write-up on the basics of Grand Central Dispatch, one of the most exciting new features in 10.6.
- Jesper lists some hidden gems in Snow Leopard. </ul>